Expand your Business to the United States

I often get asked this question from callers anxious to start a new business in the United States,“ I have a thriving business in ….., (fill in the name of the country) a large part of my business is in the US.  I want to start a new office in the America to focus on my contracts there.   How do I do start a new office?”  Here’s how:

  • Have a US connection

The new U.S. office must have a corporate relationship with your foreign entity abroad where you have been employed either as a manager, executive, or worker with specialized knowledge.

  • Demonstrate a relationship between the foreign and US offices
  • Demonstrate foreign employment as a Manager, Executive or Specialized Knowledge worker
  • The new office must be operating within one year

The “new office” L-1 visa is meant to facilitate a “ramp up” period for a new U.S. office of a foreign entity. This period is limited to one year.

  • The new office must be able to support a full time Manager or Executive
  • The Takeaway

New office L visas are usually granted for 1 year to qualified applicants. If you are from India, be aware that the denial rate in India is generally about 25%, which is higher than other countries.  There is a general belief is that the incidence of fraud is very high in India, due to the falsification of evidence and supporting documents.

Nalini S Mahadevan, JD, MBA

Attorney at Law


This blog is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship or meant as legal advice.

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.

Social Share Toolbar
Facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutubeby feather